Help DC youth achieve their dreams! As an intern with Teens Run DC, you will help to improve the physical, social, and emotional well-being of underserved youth. In partnership with a coach at one of our DC-based school sites, you will help middle school students to set and achieve both running and life goals. Interns will lead students in physical activity and teach valuable life skills, incorporating TRDC’s five core values: Vision, Commitment, Effort, Ownership, and Community.
Teens Run DC offers programming two days per week at each partner school site. This programming is led by a team of service year coaches and includes in-school lunch club sessions and after-school running club sessions. Interns will serve as co-coaches, supporting the TRDC coaching staff by helping to plan for and implement programming at their respective school sites. Each intern will be assigned to work at one partner school site, two days per week; specific hours will be based on interns’ availability as well as the organization’s needs. Interns are also welcomed and encouraged to attend TRDC weekend programming, including weekly Saturday morning running practices, races, service learning opportunities, and community social events.
This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys taking leadership and initiative in order to accomplish big things. No extensive running experience is required although regular participation in and enjoyment of physical activity will be helpful! The position is ideal for someone who likes leading groups and facilitating lessons, is outgoing and motivational, is committed to social justice and community service, is interested in youth development, is organized, and has excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Experience in youth development, organizing programs and events, and working with diverse populations is desired. The ability to work collaboratively as part of a two-person team is necessary.
The recipient of the 2016 National Service “Spirit” Award from the Mayor of the District of Columbia, TRDC values community service, commitment, respect, and encouragement. Interns will serve from February 2018 – June 2018.
- An understanding of, or strong desire to learn, youth development concepts
- Ability to commit to a regular weekly schedule and maintain consistent attendance throughout the semester
- Ability to actively engage and inspire youth, families and community members
- Ability to act as a support for youth, families, and colleagues
- Ability to initiate and sustain collaborative relationships with other organizations
- Respect for diversity and differences among youth, families, and communities
- Ability to plan and implement programming and events consistent with the needs of youth
- Ability to motivate and manage groups of 10 to 25 students
- Ability to run programming in outdoor weather conditions throughout the year
- Ability to transport up to 20 pounds of gear and materials to practices, races, and event
- Citizen or lawful permanent resident of United States
- High School Degree or GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Interns must undergo a number of background checks as required by Teens Run DC and program partners/funders